Wednesday 25 June, 2008

Kashmiris – Fighting For Their Land As Always

Kashmir is considered as a place filled with news and it seems to be ‘the place’ for all the breaking news. Bloodshed, deaths, bombs, shoot outs, Human Rights Violations, Search Operations and bandhs seem to be the normal Kashmir story that is given coverage on newspapers.

But, it is not all about the conflict this time. I have a narrator who will make you go through the ‘new real’ Kashmir problem. It is none other than the ‘800 kanals of forestland’ allotted at Sonamarg to Shri Amarnath Shrine Board by the Government.

And it says:

“I stand here since ages and I have witnessed the demarcation lines put by the strongest creature of this earth (man) to separate me from other pieces of land. They named them and claimed to be theirs. I just laugh at their superiority. These days, I fall under Sonamarg in Kashmir. I do not know where future will take me.

I have been really lucky to fall into this beautiful paradise of Kashmir where nature seems at its best. I have trees to cover me, winds bowing all around and still far from the emerging deforestation and pollution problems. I could not have asked for a better place that this.

I am as free as a breeze without any boundaries set on me. All are welcome to my land and no one here is treated an alien. I love when children play over me, tourists come and enjoy nature and locals give me a sense of belonging to them.

But now, I hear that Government has decided to allot me to Shri Amarnath Shrine Board. And I can see what it means for me - Barbered wires, pollution all over me, restricted entry and belonging to a particular sect only. I feel myself no different from Kashmir. And this is also a very major issue than it actually appears on the surface.

It seems to be a beginning of a ‘plotted’ plan to make Kashmir belong to everyone but not to a Kashmiri. I can foresee very small small pieces of land being allotted to different boards and organizations. Then, Government will move to the major areas and I will not be surprised if I see a Kashmiri being restricted to move freely even in its own state.

What will be your reactions if I ask Delhi Government to allot only 80 kanals of area to Kashmir Hajj Committee? It certainly will be termed as ‘conspiracy’ and ‘plan’ on the part of Kashmiris. Then, I don’t think it will be wrong to term it the ‘same’ when it comes to this case. You cannot change the implication of the terminology; they remain the same whether it is Delhi or Kashmir.

In all this, there is something that gives me great contentment. I can see all Kashmiris together responding to this issue in a correct way. No bandh call was given by any political, extremist or modernistic party but still I see deserted streets with agitations and protests all over. People have come out on their own to fight this problem. The minds have started evolving, things are not taken for granted anymore and the issue seems dealt on an intellect front.

The conscience of a common Kashmir seems awakening and it can only lead to the good of Kashmir. I would not have been luckier than belonging to such a place where people know what all it takes to stand in the toughest of times.

I won’t be surprised if I am the raison d'être to make this nation awake from its lull sleep. It just needs a trigger moment to unite a nation and I hope I am the one. I always believed that Kashmiris are courageous and intellectual and they have proven this from time to time. Be prepared Kashmiris, all hopes are on you and there is a long way to go.”

According to Mamkol, “Extraordinarily I don’t see any slumber in your eyes, relax only after you succeed”.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Tashif,
I know only about conflict in Kashmir, but there seem more issues than just the conflict.
I wont have ever heard about it had I not read your blog.
Thanks to you

Unknown said...

Very nice . . .
It is a grave issue conveyed in a creative way. Even I remember the fight we had with our neighbor about those 10 feet land while we were building our home. It is really a serious subject; you have put it quite well.

Unknown said...

Hi Tashif Ayaz,
I think this is not such a big issue although I agree that keeping in mind ‘Kashmir’, it has different implications. But you can’t go like that on streets; you cannot call it a proper way.

Anonymous said...

I am a Kashmiri and I will say that it is just one of the numerous issues in Valley. I believe it will also boil down like sex scandal and Gulmarg lease case. I hope Kashmiris prove me wrong this time.